(+372) 775 1390
This memorial statue is located in Vana-Põltsamaa mõisa park. It is dedicated to Karl August Hermann, who was a devoted composer, linguist and encyclopedist. The monument was opened on the 19th of June 1935. Author of the statue is Alfred Zoik-Leius.
Karl August Hermann (23rd of September 1851 Võhma village, Põltsamaa parish – 11th of January 1909 Tartu) was an Estonian composer, linguist and encyclopedist. He published the first encyclopedia in Estonian, was one of the leaders during the big song festival and composed a few hundred songs. The most well-known are “Kungla rahvas”, “Oh laula ja hõiska” jpm. He bought newspaper Perno Postimees, brought it to Tartu and led it to be the first daily newspaper in Estonian.